Good News?

Lots of thoughts are running through my little brain right now. I talked to me sister this morning (she lives in Oklahoma) and just got off the phone with my father...he just sold his house.

Maybe I will start at the beginning - my mother, after being ill off and on for a few years, passed away March 4. We were all there with her, and it was the most difficult day of my life. I spent three weeks with my daddy after the funeral. Being in that house was really strange. I lived in that house from the age of 10 until I was 19. There are many memories in that house, and my mom was everywhere I looked. It was odd being there without her. I expected her to come walking out of the bedroom, or the kitchen...but it never happened.

My dad thought long and hard about the house. He insisted we immediately remove all her things as soon as we could...so my sister and I dove in. It was accompanied with tears and some laughter. After a while, dad came to the conclusion that he could not keep the house...it was just too much house for him alone. We looked into some retirement villages for him. After I returned home he toured a few of them and then found the one of his dreams. This was in April. He put his house on the market.

Shortly after the house went on the market, dad went in the hospital to remove a tumor from his lung....lung cancer. The ended up doing a lobectomy. It has taken quite a while, but he is gradually getting better. They got all the cancer and his prognosis is good (he is 81).

Dad ended up moving into his new place on June 30. He is absolutely loving it there. He is meeting friends there (matter of fact he is cooking dinner for two of his new friends tonight). He is actually getting some enjoyment out of his life. One thing that was hanging over his head and filling him with stress was his house. He just couldn't continue paying for two households much longer. He was really at the end of his rope. When I talked to him yesterday he was really upset and asked that I would pray for him...I told him I would.

So, as much as I hate seeing that house go...I am happy that my dad can now be happy and have that stress over. I think it is a little bittersweet for him right now. He has lived there since 1969, when we moved to Oklahoma from Iowa - 38 years. Wow.

This picture is of my mom and dad at their 60th wedding anniversary party. As you can see from the date stamp on my picture - it was May 27 2006...mom almost made it to their 61st. I miss her so much! I love you mom.

Comments